Thursday 4 November 2010

my creative space - learning to overlock

my lock 134D
Janome overlocker

Did you guess what my Ebay purchase was - yes, an overlocker! I've been looking for a while for a secondhand machine and recently found this Janome Ezy Lock 134D for less than $200. It arrived while I was away so yesterday was my first chance to really try it out. Its exciting to have a new machine, especially one as foreign as this. I've never even used one before so its going to be a real adventure learning all its functions.

Luckily the woman who sold it to me sent it all threaded up because from what I read, threading is the one real hurdle for the novice overlocker/serger user. I did rethread the last bit of one looper (lower) thread and didn't think it was too hard (but I'm touching wood while I say that!) Its threaded with black thread though, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon. I think I can tie the white to the black and pull it through but maybe I should spend some time mastering the threading.

So far I've only sewn around the edges of some scrap material but I'm already sold on the wonder of overlocking! It will be great for cushion sewing and save me lots of time zigzagging around the fabric edges. And I can't wait to try sewing jersey.

The seller included an old Janome magazine which lists all the wonderful thing their sergers can do, there's no date on it but it has photos of a delightful quilted jacket and includes patterns for a dress with shoulder pads! It talks about pintucks, gathering, blind hems, beading attachments, piping and faggoting. I'd like to think I can master at least a couple of those, or work out exactly what they are at least. As always, all advice very welcome!

For more creative spaces visit Kirsty's place.

21 comments :

  1. That's so exciting!!!! You are going to have a ball with that. I'm envious that yours came with an instruction manual!... I have exactly the same one (a friend didn't want theirs anymore) but I've never used it! (Must look into downloading it from somewhere!). Have fun stitchin' Susie! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very nice acquisition - you will have a lot of fun! A handy tip I read when I bought my overlocker, is to use different coloured thread for each needle and looper, while you are practising threading and stitching. I found it a very good way of seeing how everything worked.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My overlocker has been mothballed for ages because I can't thread it. Must do lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the exact same machine as I have. I have had it for over ten years and I've never had so much as a hiccup out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! YAY for you!!! Overlocking is a synch. Its definately the threading thats the hard part. I have to call my mum over every time the thread breaks....shame!

    Good luck and happy zippy snippy.

    xB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I want one! It looks a bit tricky to thread indeed but opens so many creative possibilities!!!

    Have fun! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeeeah! Hello Susie, and congrats on the new overlocker! they are fun, but my goodness, I almost had a heart attack trying to learn how to thread mine - it's all ok now... so do not fear - the fun gets better and better! Hope you're well, and having fun. xo Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got the same overlocker. I tie one colour thread to the next to change the colours. Just be careful with the knots reach the eyes of the needles! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting - I have beent toying with the idea of an overlocker of ages but can't decide if it will change my life or I will never use it. Looks intimidating!

    (My word verification is pullitin - kind of appropriate for threading an overlocker)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes, so many knobs and lines of thread. Makes me nervous just looking at the picture, but I'm no sewer so even one needle makes me nervous. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My best friend also just bought a used serger and also said that learning how to thread it is the hardest thing about it. I hope you enjoy using yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was part of the shopping list for this year but since I have yet to do any children clothes, that will be put on hold while I go buy my GO! cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow ~ you got a bargain. looks pretty complicated!
    i have this romantic ideal that if i had one of these, i'd be sewing SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh good luck with learning... I am pretty craptacular with threading/using/doing anything much with mine - sorthing the tension out is a particular dislike... or can I not even call it a dislike if I never get it right in the first place...?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's great to learn something new. I know absolutely nothing about overlocking except that the lady next door when we were growing up had one and she made lots and lots of stretchy velour tracksuits. Juicy Couture they were not! I'm sure you're going to do something far more inspirational once you get going! Enjoy! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no an overlocker! I am going to patchwork my doona cover but not too structured I like scrappy patchwork I find it more relaxing to not be locked into a pattern that someone else created. Have lots of plain coloured material just waiting for some stripes to arrive. Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! It'll change your life for sure.
    I adore my overlocker and can't imagine my life without her. You'll get the hang of threading and changing threads soon I promise.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh.. and overlocker, lucky thing! Look forward to seeing all the new things you'll be cooking up with it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The threading up looks hard but so worth it you will be zipping through those cushions in no time I bet!x

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks very exciting, if a bit overwhelming. Hope you get the hang of it quickly and can enjoy its benefits.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)