Friday 1 June 2012

vivid sydney 2012

vivid vividvividvividvividvividvivid

We headed into the city last night to see the Vivid Sydney light show, which is lighting up Circular Quay and surrounds this month. For non locals Vivid is an annual festival held in Sydney with the themes Light, Music and Ideas. Its often showcases avant garde ideas and I remember a few years ago Laurie Anderson held a concert for dogs on the forecourt of the Opera House and a few of my friends took their pooches (who didn't actually seem so fussed!).

Vivid is such a beautiful sight, if you're local I really recommend it, We parked near Sydney Theatre Company and walked round under the bridge and all the way round the Quay, into and up and round the MCA, then round to Customs House which has a bespoke animation playing on its front.

There was a really nice atmosphere, there were lots of families and kids and lots of babies too I noticed! it seems like everyone had a camera and the light installations are really accessible and interactive, especially the one near the MCA with flaps that jump the louder you scream!

Looking for somewhere to eat, and disappointed by the narrow choice between fried food joints and chef hats restaurant we suddenly stumbled across Young Alfred's outdoor dining area right on the square at Customs House, undercover and with a good view of the Customs House show. What a great find, it was really reasonable and so delicious. We shared a Caesar salad and Messi, Tito and Miles pizzas (roast vegetables and goats curd; caramelised onion, sausage and pecorino; and mozzarella, prosciutto, tomato & rocket).

I'm at my happiest exploring with my gang, and combining good food, art, landscape, a bit of instagramming and a cold beer... well it doesn't get much better for me.

Happy weekend everyone. If you have a chance go and see Vivid, but maybe not this weekend, its meant to rain, a lot! I'm thinking some food, crochet, and a bit of iView if its really miserable.

6 comments :

  1. It looks like so much fun! Your restaurant find sounds good too. Happy weekend! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed Vivid - it is amazing I agree. We went last year and treated ourselves to an overnight stay in a city apartment with the whole family.

    However, it didn't just rain - it bucketed down and with kids/stroller in tow it made for a challenging night. Great in retrospect but at the time.....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. So many pretty things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! So sad I didn't know about this when I lived in Sydney - Looks amazing! What a great night out. Thanks for the foodie tip too, will have to remember that one.

    ps. Thanks for your comment on my trimmings project - I was so chuffed that you got the community spirit feeling out of it, getting across warmth and connection was really important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fabulous!! I'll be thinking of you next week as we pass through Sydney on our way overseas. Hope all is well with you and the gang, much love to you Susie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder - WM and I might squeeze it in before the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)