Thursday, 1 November 2012
my creative space - numero dos
Anyway, so I thought I would warm up with another version (numero dos!) of the Barcelona skirt that I made back here. I thought that by sewing a pattern I'd made previously I would be ready to take on something more challenging! This simple black bitsy print is a large thrifted piece so I could afford to make mistakes.
Of course then after laying out the fabric and pattern, and despite recent organisation of all crafty stuffs, and labelling of drawers and boxes no less, do you think I could find the pattern instructions? No!! AAAgh. Despite searching everywhere they are nowhere to be found so in the end I had to wing it.
Which was probably good for my sewing skills because it made me think about each process. I had another false start when I cut the wrong size, but I had enough of this thrifted material to get around that and hadn't but the lining yet. Good news is that I'm happy with the size I made, which is often part of the battle as I never seem to conform to the measurements on the bag of the envelope.
Again I've used vintage sheet lining. I'm very happy with that. A hidden detail that puts a smile on my face each time I wear the skirts.
And despite resisting the lining the first time, I love the way it makes the skirt hang and fit, and makes this simple A line pattern a winner. Excuse the bad modelling shots, I'm not sure how everyone else manages them but mine are always a bit crap. But I do like to see things on so here they are! Here's a shot of my lovely vintage beads to distract.
More Creative Spaces, and less false starts I'm sure, over here.