Tuesday 26 January 2010

camp cove


J and I skived off work this afternoon and met up to snorkel with our boys at Camp Cove, a lovely little Harbour beach out near the Heads. It was the perfect way to spend this last day of the holidays, before regular life overtakes us.

Sydney is such an amazing place, right there in the middle of all the ferries and yachts and million dollar cruisers you can walk in off the beach and plunge straight into the middle of coral and fish and crabs. I saw a family of big crabs lunching on the waving seaweed, a foot long Leatherjacket (above) happily ignoring me as it snuffled the sea floor, and I swam through the middle of a school of a thousand little fish. Bliss!

I got the feeling these city fish are used to strange people staring at them because none of them looked the slightest bit worried, except the squid. He kept one beady eye on me as he backed off into the distance. I wanted to explain I meant him no harm but he wasn't listening.

Driving home into the darkening sky I felt refreshed and inspired. Its been so hot and muggy for so long it was great to spend time in the cool ocean. I'm hoping the coming storm brings us lots of rain and wind and not just the crackling thunder and more humidity its offering so far!

p.s. A big thank you to all the lovely people who have voted for my little shop in The Poppies! And for all the lovely thoughtful messages you've sent and comments left. I'm feeling very special :-)

p.p.s. Not my photos, unfortunately - but if that isn't the fish I saw its his twin brother!

2 comments :

  1. I have only been to Sydney once and loooved it, we want to go back this year at some stage. Your ruby slippers print is beautiful. Nice Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm struggling to the finish line (Monday), but you're right – essential to end the hols on a high. Beach day here we come!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)