Friday 22 January 2010

Marthe Armitage


Recently, via Flightless Boyds blog, I was delighted to discover English wallpaper designer Marthe Armitage. Wow! I am smitten, completely inspired by this wonderful designer who still, in her 70s, prints her own wallpaper from lino cuts. I especially love her botanical designs (of course!). See all her work here. She does do some designs as fabric too.

Seriously, how cool is she?! Her wallpaper design and printing began after art school when she married and had a family. The house they moved to needed work, cracks in the wall needed covering - so she printed her own wallpaper (as you do). This was during the Second World War mind you.

Marthe was featured in the November 2009 issue of Gardens Illustrated (the current issue here in oz) where these pictures come from. I rushed out and bought it yesterday (not that I need an excuse, it is my very favourite mag, I have about a hundred back issues I can't bring myself to throw out!)

Marthe still prints on a press that she's used for 40 years (photo above) but before that used to stand on the blocks :-) She also thinks there should be more shows about sewing and making things. She thinks "it's terrible that people aren't taught these things any more."

But I especially love this quote from Marthe:
"Pattern has an abstract quality - it hits you in a way you don't quite understand, I can't tell you why it moves me but it does. It's like music, in a way".


19 comments :

  1. Thanks - what an amazing woman. Nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing about Marthe. What a total star. I want to grow up to be like her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing about Marthe. What a total star. I want to grow up to be like her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't know what happened with the double posting - sorry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, absolutely amazing work. And the final quote hits the nail on the head for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link, but now I want to redecorate the whole house :-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you so much for sharing these pictures! i'd read about her somewhere else (i thought maybe 'country living' but perhaps it was on a blog?) and felt inspired. but that quote you added- so great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an old article about Marthe and hadn't heard of her work for ages I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post about a totally amazing woman - I love it! Thanks for sharing this. Off to explore her work now :) K

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous find - what a lady! Her work is nothing short of sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for sharing this. Marthe Armitage was recently (sept.09) mentioned in UK House and Garden magazine along with others of her generation - Jenny Stringer and Agnes Wimborne - who are still producing amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing. What beautiful patterns, and what a cool lady. I am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post. It's very encouraging as I don't ever plan to retire :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am most impressed by the subtle light that appears in her work. Truly inspiring that she is still creating. Thanks for posting :) BTW Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. found this post through jezze- and i am so amazed!
    beautiful patterns and what an inspiring lady!
    wonderful blog see you soon again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. adore that quote too - exactly how that little collage of her works made me feel...how completely utterly gorgeous and inspiring both they are.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for sharing, what an amazing woman,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)