Tuesday 24 May 2011

Guest Post - Christina Lowry Brooch Tutorial

+
As a jeweller, brooches are my favourite vehicle for creative expression. There really are no rules when it comes to brooches. Like a small canvas or sculpture, brooches offer an almost unlimited array of possibilities. With my brooch for the swap, I was interested in experimenting with mixed media, by creating my own cabochon using air dry clay and resin. I don't think it's giving away too much to say that my swap partner loves sewing and occasionally gardening. I started designing with this in mind.

pic 1. (above) I start with a leaf skeleton impression, rolled in air dry clay, covered in a layer of resin for a glassy finish.

+
pic 2. Making the silver setting - a sewing machine silhouette hand cut from the base plate.

+
pic 3. Cutting away the excess metal from the base plate.

+
 pic 4. Soldering a piece of wire to the back of the plate to make the brooch pin.

+
pic 5. The brooch pin shaped and finished.

+
pic 6. Beginning setting the clay in the silver bezel - pushing the silver over the stone at alternating points.

+
pic 7. The completed brooch back.

+
pic 8. And the completed brooch front. I've left the tool marks around the bezel as a feature.

I do hope my partner likes her brooch. Many thanks to Susie for organising such a wonderful swap!
 Christina

p.s. Thank you so much Christina, for the tutorial and also for the wonderful brooch you've made for the Brooch Swap. I'm sure your partner is going to just adore it and treasure it forever! If you haven't seen Christina's beautiful work before make sure to check out her blog and shop. Her wares are at the top of my wish list, if only I could decide which piece is my favourite!
Its getting very exciting, I'm noticing a few blog posts around the place and some pictures being added to the Flickr group showing people's finished brooches. I might put up a linky post on Friday for people to link to any posts they've made about the swap. Has anyone got their brooch yet?  I'd love to hear.

12 comments :

  1. This post is so interesting..I love the way the sewing machine was cut out on the reverse side..just a beautiful touch..wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really ,all i can say is WOW! so pretty and different.love the sewing machine cut out!
    hugs
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.. that is brooch is gorgeous! Love seeing the process of how things are make... thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just stunning, what an art, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - that's so amazing to see the steps. I love creative process! What a gorgeous brooch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brooch is amazing! I've finished my brooch for the swap and will be sending it off soon. Mine is certainly not as clever as this though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really neat brooch! I love the secret sewing machine on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The brooch is gorgeous, who wouldn't treasure it? I love the secret sewing machine and the fern imprint is amazing, lovely to combine your partner's interests. Hmm, I wonder how many quilters in the swap also garden.....most I guess!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Christina is one clever chook. How did she make that brooch look SO EASY?

    (seriously freaking out about all things brooch here)

    (but that is typical and to be expected)...

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous christina. thanks for sharing the progress of this brooch with us. the secret sewing machine cut out in the back is perfect. one lucky swap partner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, such an interesting and beautiful post. That second image is stunning. I had no idea of the process, thanks Christina. Your work is just gorgeous!

    ps. How do you apply the resin so flawlessly?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Regards for all your efforts that you have put in this. very interesting information.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)