Sunday 1 May 2011

last minute mothers day

magritte bow-knot scarfmagritte bow-knot scarfMagritte bow-knot scarflet

I was suddenly inspired yesterday afternoon to cast on this quick project as part of a present for my Mum, whose birthday it is next week. I think it would also make a great last minute handmade Mother's Day gift. Details on my ravelry page.

This is a free pattern which you can knit it in a day and it takes less than a ball of wool. Another bonus is its knitted mostly in garter stitch (knit, no purl for the newbies) so it would be great for beginners wanting to learn a few new skills. The only trick would be separating stitches for the slot and that's well explained.

I love this wool which I bought last year on a whim at Spotlight. My stash is full of single balls which I've bought with no plan in mind but can't resist! Luckily I have two balls of this so I can make myself another, in fact I can see I'll have to knit a few. A great stash buster.

By the way, you know how I've been going on about that swap thing. Well sign ups go up on Tuesday, promise. There are some lovely friends on board all ready and I can't wait to see what they make! Please come and join the fun on Tuesday!

9 comments :

  1. Oh, the temptation to start new knitting projects always strikes when I see your knitting! This is lovely indeed. Hope your Mum loves it. And I agree, of course you need one, preferably two. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this - especially the 'leaf' shaperd ends. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it! I have one like this that I found in an oppy once - it's white wool and a bit aged (I've been meaning to dye it for ages!) Perfect size with little fuss - you are clever :) Looking forward to Tuesday! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the shape of this..perfect for cool days and I can see it can be added to for thick necks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a great idea for Mother's Day! I'll be casting on this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely! I'm loving the one ball...one hour stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh very pretty! It would definitely take me more than a day to knit this though, I must be the world's slowest knitter. I also have loads of single balls of yarn, I just buy it when I like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)