Tuesday 31 May 2011

voiceless

stopsign

I try not to be too political here on my blog (unlike in real life!) but I think this cause is one that everyone can embrace. Last night Four Corners showed graphic footage of Australian cattle being terribly mistreated in Indonesian abbatoirs. I couldn't watch it because I find even the thought too distressing, but I've heard that it showed the practices found there to be inhumane and some of them akin to torture. I think we all have a responsibility to change that.
GetUp!, an Australian lobbying group are presenting a petition to parliament tomorrow to end live export immediately to Indonesia and later to the rest of the world. If you feel like me that something must be done please take two minutes to sign the petition with your email address here:
http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/animals/live-export/ban-live-export?t=dXNlcmlkPTc0Mzg4NixlbWFpbGlkPTc1
Or at least learn more about the issue.
(It was at 48,000 when I went there, what was it up to when you signed?)

I've been voiceless too this week, croaking my way through laryngitis. A bowl of pho with friends in Marrickville yesterday nearly did the trick but I'm still froggy.

Thanks to all who've left their links below, I've been really enjoying seeing all the amazing work coming out of the Brooch Swap, there's still plenty of time to add your link, its open for a couple more days.

9 comments :

  1. 52722 now! thank you for the link, and hope you feel better soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just signed 52,740 people have signed up! Hope you're better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 53,526 i just signed!

    hope u feel better soon
    hugs
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I signed last night. I missed most of the story, and I am kind glad I did.

    Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 71, 028

    Thanks Susie - missed Four Corners but did catch some of this on the news this morning (as did my children...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That video brought tears to my eyes. I get that there are different customs of slaughter in different countries, and not all of them will adhere to the best humane standards, but why would you need to torture the animal like that?!

    The petition has been signed by 70,639 people now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, and get better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 77,415
    So terrible, it makes me sick!
    Have you watched food inc? I'm still getting over it.
    As a consumer, we need to lobby & get our voice heard. Awareness & education will hopefully bring change.
    Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found it horrific and emailed the federal minister for agriculture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)