Thursday 25 August 2011

my creative space - rainbow

rainbow
rainbow
rainbow
rainbow
rainbow

When I saw this simple knitted softie pattern in Lamina's creative space last week I couldn't resist casting on (pattern here). I thought it looked simple enough that it would be a good easy project for the new knitters in the family too and they were all really keen. We spent lovely time knitting and chatting happily over the weekend and finished them in a couple of days. Both the boys picked up purl for the first time and I was close at hand for dropped stitches and glitches.
I was in charge of legs and ears but the design and bodies are all theirs (except for bunny, she's mine).
My boys have been making cranes at school this week too, and have learnt the story of Sadako and the 1000 cranes. Such a sweet sad story, its nice that it has come to symbolise peace and that her legacy lives on.
We made some more at home from coloured office paper with this tutorial and somehow ended up with a rainbow! I love the way it looks on my new dining room cupboard.
More projects at the clubhouse here.

12 comments :

  1. Oh gorgeous, my darling boy made me an oragami bat this morning with a 'hug' folded up inside, bless his 7 year old heart. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent family projects! I reckon those cranes are screaming 'mobile'. As one who has gone there, good luck with those balancing logistics...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love the rainbow softies! Might have to try and give those a go.

    And the cranes are delightful too!

    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  4. the knitted toys totally totally ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh those little softies are just too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwww... your knitted animals are totally adorable!! Making them is really addictive.. ha ha ha! And Wow what great little knitters they are! Love it :)
    I'm itching to make a cat next!
    The cranes look really cool too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snap! Lamina got me addicted to the little critters too ;-) I'm looking forward to my kids getting a bit older so they can try knitting. Hopefully I'll be proficient by then! Love your cranes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love knitted toys & the fact you & your boys made them together... just too sweet! Lucky mum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the family of knitted toys! How lovely and special.

    I remember reading the story of the 1000 cranes as a child. My sister and I made paper cranes for days afterwards too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knitting boys! How fabulous. I wonder when mine will be dexterous enough?

    Your new cupboard does indeed look beautiful with all that colour on top. The Sadako story always makes me cry...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read the Sadako story when my daughter did it at primary school. It made me howl :( But I have loved paper cranes ever since :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love that bottom image with the white and splashes of bright colour. i want to learn how to make origami cranes. something else for my list! lovely creative space post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)