Sunday 18 April 2010

magic beach

beachbeachbeachbeachbeach

I'm back. Our five days away have done their magic. What a brilliant time we had. The weather was peachy and we swam everyday, snorkelling off the white sand beaches amongst schools of fish, big blue groper, squadrons of little squid and, on the last day, dolphins fishing and cruising 50 metres from us.

We fished and ate our catch, played soccer and practised our running on the sand, walked in the bush, looked in rockpools and and put a jigsaw back together, racing to put the last pieces in before we left. I left with a big bag of craft/art materials and managed only about twenty rows of knitting!

This favourite place that we have been coming to for seven or so years always reminds me of one of my favourite children's books, Magic Beach by the wonderful Alison Lester. I have read this so many times to my kids and given it to lots of new babies - the rhythm often plays in my head as I walk along the sand.

At our beach,
at our magic beach,
we swim in the sparkling sea,
surfing and splashing
and jumping the waves,
shrieking and laughing with glee.

At our beach,
at our magic beach,
we walk when it's cloudy and grey,
looking for driftwood,
feathers and shells
washed up on the edge of the bay.

Please come back on Tuesday to share Show & Tell interview number three!

6 comments :

  1. Beautiful pictures and imagery. My, that third pic down is especially lovely. Thankyou for introducing me to A. Lester. I am sure my little one will enjoy this book - will keep and eye out for it next time we are at the library. Lovely to hear about your wonderful break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Susie, welcome back - what an amazing holiday away. Your photos are making me yearn for a break. It's been tooooo long between holidays here. :) I love the poem too, and I look forward to Tuesday reading. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like my trip! I also found some pretty spiral shells I love your photograph of them. Welcome back!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your photos Susie... and that gorgeous quote. I think I'll be smiling for a while - thank you :) Kx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wonderful sounds and looks beautiful, what a tonic!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find this such a lovely time of the year here in South Africa too. The days are still pleasantly warm, and the intense heat of midsummer is passed. Glad it was a good break!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and commenting :-)